Wednesday 12 June 2013

About A Book | Babble by Charles Saatchi


I bring you a slightly different post today, about a book. You may call me a geek but I love a good book. Genre? I’m not really too specific, although I’m not a fan of romantic novels, and only certain crime-thrillers manage to grasp my attention. Recently, I was sent into Waterstones for older-sister-Jack who is an avid reader, and I noticed a little gem sitting on one of their tables. Whoever says “don’t judge a book by it’s cover” was mistaken when it comes to this read, I was drawn in by the minimalist look of the sleeve. The simple imagery drew me in and I had to pick it up to see what was going on. The title, one word, “Babble”. The author, Charles Saatchi, a man who I admire. A master of the advertising world, and an avid art collector. His gallery, in London, a place I am desperate to visit, and interactive technique to acquiring internship staff – through the submission of a YouTube remake of famous advertising campaigns. I was drawn in. Turning the book over to discover a lack of blurb, just a list of different titles displayed on the back. A number of the titles enticed me, so I decided to purchase, and took it home to read.
babble1.1babble2.1
This book differs from the other books by Charles Saatchi. His other books tended to be of a question and answer format whereas this was a compilation of opinions and anecdotes over a number of topics. Whilst reading, I felt a lot of the authors personality and humour come across in the book, and it seems as though his opinions are completely uncensored. The fact that the book is a lot of – how I can only describe as – short stories, which are not related at all, meant that in theory I would be able to read one chapter at time, and then be able to put the book down. However this wasn’t the case, I couldn’t put it down, I was intrigued to read more about Charles Saatchi’s opinions. My favourite chapters were titles, “You’re last meal on Death Row”, “Is good luck or bad luck passed on genetically?” and “Do you have a toilet face?”.
babble3.1
I enjoyed reading this book so much, that I was talking about it enough to convince my friends that they needed to read it. I also spent many days researching and entering stores to find out if Charles Saatchi had written any other books which were similar. And now I am recommending it to you.
I picked this up for half price but it retails at £12.99 from most book stores.
What do you think of this type of post? Have you read something good recently and want to recommend?
badge

No comments:

Post a Comment